Judge Esther Salas posted a video comment on Monday
A female judge whose son was killed by an “anti-feminist” lawyer has called for protecting the privacy of federal judges in her first public comments.”This monster knew where I lived…and had a complete dossier on me and my family,” she said. Roy Den Hollander, dressed as a FedEx delivery man, shot Judge Esther Salas’ son and husband in New Jersey last month before taking his own life.Authorities believe he targeted Judge Salas over her role as a federal judge.In an emotional video statement released on Monday, Judge Salas described the incident while urging lawmakers to help protect judges from future attacks.”My family has experienced a pain that no one should ever have to endure,” she said. “And I am here asking everyone to help me ensure that no one ever has to experience this kind of pain. We may not be able to stop something like this from happening again, but we can make it hard for those who target us to track us down.”Hollander was found dead two hours north of the judge’s home. Police discovered names of several others he planned to target, including another judge, the New York Times reported.The judge described how Den Hollander had allegedly opened fire with a FedEx package in hand, and how her son Daniel protected his father by taking the first bullet to the chest. Daniel had just celebrated his 20th birthday with the family that weekend.She said her husband, Mark Anderl, was shot three times and is currently recovering in hospital from multiple surgeries.Judge Salas noted the addresses and other personal information of federal judges is “readily available” online, while also calling out companies who sell such data.”In my case, this monster knew where I lived and what church we attended and had a complete dossier on me and my family,” she said. “My son’s death cannot be in vain, which is why I am begging those in power to do something to help my brothers and sisters on the bench.”Judge Salas is the first Hispanic woman to serve as a federal judge in New Jersey.Daniel, who was the couple’s only son, would have returned to study at Catholic University of America in Washington this autumn.What do we know about the attack?On 19 July, the suspect – named later by the FBI as Den Hollander – disguised as a delivery man, arrived at the judge’s home. Judge Salas and her son were in the basement at the time, but when the front doorbell rang, Daniel went upstairs to see who it was. The judge described hearing gunfire seconds later. Den Hollander, 72, was reportedly upset with Judge Salas over her handling of a court case challenging the male-only military draft.
Police outside the home where the suspect, Roy Den Hollander, was found dead
He was a self-described “anti-feminist” lawyer who had sued nightclubs over ladies’ night discounts, the federal government over a law protecting women from violence and a university over women’s studies courses.In a memoir published online, Den Hollander said he had “wanted to ask the Judge out, but thought she might hold me in contempt”. Den Hollander had written that he was diagnosed with melanoma cancer two years ago, saying “nothing in this life matters anymore”.US media report that Den Hollander is also a suspect in a California murder case involving another lawyer.
Sabah election: Polls open in key test for Malaysia’s Muhyiddin
A defeat for Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin’s allies in Sabah state could increase pressure for snap national polls.Polls have opened in Malaysia’s eastern Sabah state in a vote seen as a referendum for embattled Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin’s seven-month-old unelected government. The outcome of Saturday’s state election will not directly alter the balance of power…
A defeat for Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin’s allies in Sabah state could increase pressure for snap national polls.Polls have opened in Malaysia’s eastern Sabah state in a vote seen as a referendum for embattled Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin’s seven-month-old unelected government.
The outcome of Saturday’s state election will not directly alter the balance of power at a national level, where Muhyiddin’s coalition commands a razor-thin majority, but serves as a key test of the prime minister’s popularity.
A defeat for Muhyiddin’s allies could erode support among his coalition partners and increase pressure for snap national polls, according to Al Jazeera’s Florence Looi.
“There’s a lot at stake in these elections,” Looi said, reporting from Sabah.
“This is the first test for Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin since he took power in a political coup. There are calls even within his coalition for snap elections to secure a stronger mandate. Now, a general election is not due until 2023 but the results of this vote could have an impact on when the next parliamentary election will be called.”
Adding to the stakes, Looi noted, opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim declared on Wednesday that he has secured majority support in the national parliament to remove Muhyiddin and form a new government.
“Anwar’s challenge has underlined just how fragile the support for the prime minister is, even within his own coalition,” said Looi.
Malaysia has been gripped by turmoil since February, when a reformist government headed by Mahathir Mohamad, and including Anwar, collapsed amid bitter infighting.
Muhyiddin defected from the reformist government and seized power to form a new Malay-centric administration. His alliance has since taken control of many states with many legislators defecting to his camp.
The opposition now controls only Sabah and two of the country’s richest states, Selangor and Penang.
Saturday’s election in Sabah was called after a Muhyiddin ally launched a bid to take over the opposition-controlled local government. But rather than cede power, the chief minister dissolved the state assembly.
Loose coalitions are backing the government and the opposition, but analysts say the vote is too close to call.
Results are expected late on Saturday.
“A win will strengthen Muhyiddin’s position but a loss will embolden Anwar’s attempt to reclaim power,” Oh Ei Sun, a senior fellow at the Singapore Institute of International Affairs, told The Associated Press news agency.
Shafie Apdal (C), president of the Sabah Heritage Party, cast his ballot at a polling station in Semporna [AFP]Anwar, who claims to have won majority support, including from legislators in Muhyiddin’s camp, has not revealed details as he is waiting to meet Malaysia’s king, who is in hospital for treatment. The king has the power to appoint a new prime minister or dissolve parliament for early general elections.
Muhyiddin has said Anwar’s declaration is a mere allegation until he provides evidence.
The prime minister has campaigned heavily in Sabah, pledging development, and billboards of his smiling face, dubbed “Abah” or father, are prominent in many constituencies.
In contrast, former Sabah leader Shafie Apdal urged the state’s multiple Indigenous groups to reject Muhyiddin’s Muslim government and unite behind him.
Sabah and neighbouring Sarawak on Borneo island are seen as crucial for political leverage as they hold about a quarter of parliamentary seats. The two states are rich in oil and timber but among the poorest in Malaysia. They have a greater level of autonomy in administration, immigration and judiciary.
The Sabah election is heavily contested with 447 candidates vying for 73 state seats. More than a million voters, many in rural areas, are eligible to cast their ballots.
With coronavirus cases rising in the state in recent weeks, election officials have tightened rules with health screening and other strict precautions.
‘Blatant disregard and disrespect of Black people’: Virginia district apologizes for segregated schools – 50 years later
CLOSE 50 years ago, US Supreme Court established the right to public education for all races. But in rural Virginia, black students were shut out of school for 6 more years because the county closed down the public school system. Duration: 02:51 Video pro Loudoun County Public Schools in Virginia issued a formal apology Friday for…
50 years ago, US Supreme Court established the right to public education for all races. But in rural Virginia, black students were shut out of school for 6 more years because the county closed down the public school system. Duration: 02:51
Loudoun County Public Schools in Virginia issued a formal apology Friday for being one of the last school systems in the nation to desegregate its schools, following a year of controversy and a probe by the state’s attorney general into allegations of racism.In a letter addressed to the Black community of Loudoun County, officials said they were sorry for their segregated schools which lasted until 1967. That’s nearly 13 years after the nation’s highest court ruled on public school segregation.The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in the 1954 decision Brown v. Board of Education that public school segregation was unconstitutional, and that public schools should integrate “with all deliberate speed.” A federal court order in 1967 required the Loudoun County Public Schools to fully integrate, closing the loopholes that it had previously been using for over a dozen years.The apology is one step of the district’s 16-step action framework to address systemic racism, which the district released this summer after steeps of controversy surrounding allegedly racist policies.In a report released June 2019 by the Equity Collaborative, a consulting firm hired by superintendent Eric Williams, students shared anecdotes of their peers use of racial slurs, unfair disciplinary policies and academic expectations.”The N-word gets used ALL the time here,” said one student, who was anonymous.”When a kid who is misbehaving and is Black — why do you hear “that kid’s going to end up in jail someday” — but you don’t hear that about the White kids who mess up,” another student said.Later in 2019, the Virginia Office of the Attorney General sent a letter to the district announcing it was opening an investigation into the allegations outlined in the report, and accusations that the district barred Black students from equal access to advanced programs.The state’s attorney general said that the district must make available all requested records and certain personnel for interviews, according to the letter, which was attached in the superintendent’s response to the request.Virginia schoolapologizes for ‘insensitive’ Underground Railroad activityFriday’s letter further apologized for “negative impact, damage and disadvantages to Black students and families that were caused by decisions made” by the district, including unequal school plans and pay, as well as segregated buildings and transportation.The school board also wrote that it “must continually assess the status of racial equity in the school system and correct its past transgressions as it pertains to race. Although we recognize that we have yet to fully correct or eradicate matters of racial inequality, we hope that issuing this apology with genuine remorse is a valuable step.”Indeed, the letter comes as the school district reports racist incidents in its virtual classrooms on the first week of school.During the week of Sept. 8, several students used racist slurs during class and showed sexual or racist images on screens during online classes, Williams told families in an email, reported local college radio WAMU 88.5.But this incident is far from the only racist incident in the district in recent years.In Feb. 2019, the district’s Madison’s Trust Elementary School issued an apology for holding a physical education class where students in third, fourth and fifth grades pretended to be slaves while participating in an obstacle course representing the Underground Railroad.The lesson was meant to be a cooperative exercise where students worked together to move through six stations representing parts of the Underground Railroad.Contributing: Brett Molina, USA TODAYAutoplayShow ThumbnailsShow CaptionsLast SlideNext SlideRead or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/education/2020/09/25/virginia-school-district-apologize-school-segregation-racism/5645803002/Find New & Used CarsNew CarsUsed CarsofPowered by Cars.com
Ant Anstead Posts ‘Old Skool’ Pic Wearing Wedding Ring After Christina Anstead Split
Kicking it old school. Ant Anstead interrupted his post-breakup social media hiatus to share a throwback pic. The Wheeler Dealers host, 41, uploaded a photo of himself to Instagram on Thursday, September 24, where he was pictured sticking his head out of a car window. “British cars, American TV, On set (old skool),” he captioned…
Kicking it old school. Ant Anstead interrupted his post-breakup social media hiatus to share a throwback pic.
The Wheeler Dealers host, 41, uploaded a photo of himself to Instagram on Thursday, September 24, where he was pictured sticking his head out of a car window. “British cars, American TV, On set (old skool),” he captioned the black-and-white shot, in which a glimpse at his wedding band was shown.
The “old skool” portion of his caption seemingly implied that the snap was taken some time before the split.
Ant Anstead and Christina Anstead Shutterstock (2)Ant and Christina Anstead tied the knot in December 2018 after her divorce from Tarek El Moussa was finalized that January. The now-estranged pair welcomed their son Hudson, 12 months, in September 2019.
On September 18, the 37-year-old Christina on the Coast star announced their breakup via Instagram. “Ant and I have made the difficult decision to separate,” she wrote at the time. “We are grateful for each other and as always, our children will remain our priority. We appreciate your support and ask for privacy for us and our family as we navigate the future.”
Ant has not publicly addressed the separation. The U.K. native did, however, celebrate his stepdaughter Taylor’s 10th birthday, posting to his Instagram Story on Tuesday, September 22.
“TEN! And has perfected the perfect pinkie!” he wrote. “Stay just as cool, funny and sassy! Happy birthday TayTay! Love you!!”
Ant has two children from a previous relationship. However, the British TV presenter helped to raise Christina’s daughter alongside her biological father, El Moussa. The exes’ also share 5-year-old son, Brayden.
Christina has maintained a strong coparenting and working relationship with El Moussa, who is engaged to Selling Sunset’s Heather Rae Young. The Flipping 101 star, 39, recently spoke to Us Weekly about how they’ve gotten to a good place post-split.
“We’re cordial and we filmed together,” he said on September 14. “We’re not hanging out on Sundays having barbecues, but you know, it’s all good. Life goes on and we’re good. We’re doing great filming together. The kids are great. And life is good.”
Listen to Us Weekly’s Hot Hollywood as each week the editors of Us break down the hottest entertainment news stories!