Connect with us
[adrotate group="1"]

Headlines

Kuwait, Jordan red crescents launch relief campaign

AMMAN: Kuwait Red Crescent Society (KRCS) and Jordanian Red Crescent launched a campaign to help more than 2,000 Syrian refugee families and needy families in Jordan. The two-stage campaign, which started at the beginning of the holy month of Ramadan and will end after Eid Al-Fitr holiday, includes the distribution of food boxes on the…

Published

on

AMMAN: Kuwait Red Crescent Society (KRCS) and Jordanian Red Crescent launched a campaign to help more than 2,000 Syrian refugee families and needy families in Jordan. The two-stage campaign, which started at the beginning of the holy month of Ramadan and will end after Eid Al-Fitr holiday, includes the distribution of food boxes on the families, said Mahmoud Assoud, the Jordanian Red Crescent official in charge of the campagin. Assoud said the campaign targetted more than 2,000 Syrian refugee families a number of Jordanian families who were in need of help. The campaign was launched amidst tough economic and health conditions caused by the spread of the novel coronavirus, thus disrupting income of many families. KRCS, he said, is keen on continuing humanitarian programs in Jordan in collaboration with local partners. — KUNA

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

code

Headlines

‘Blatant disregard and disrespect of Black people’: Virginia district apologizes for segregated schools – 50 years later

CLOSE 50 years ago, US Supreme Court established the right to public education for all races. But in rural Virginia, black students were shut out of school for 6 more years because the county closed down the public school system. Duration: 02:51 Video pro Loudoun County Public Schools in Virginia issued a formal apology Friday for…

Published

on

By

CLOSE

50 years ago, US Supreme Court established the right to public education for all races. But in rural Virginia, black students were shut out of school for 6 more years because the county closed down the public school system. Duration: 02:51
Video pro

Loudoun County Public Schools in Virginia issued a formal apology Friday for being one of the last school systems in the nation to desegregate its schools, following a year of controversy and a probe by the state’s attorney general into allegations of racism.In a letter addressed to the Black community of Loudoun County, officials said they were sorry for their segregated schools which lasted until 1967. That’s nearly 13 years after the nation’s highest court ruled on public school segregation.The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in the 1954 decision Brown v. Board of Education that public school segregation was unconstitutional, and that public schools should integrate “with all deliberate speed.” A federal court order in 1967 required the Loudoun County Public Schools to fully integrate, closing the loopholes that it had previously been using for over a dozen years.The apology is one step of the district’s 16-step action framework to address systemic racism, which the district released this summer after steeps of controversy surrounding allegedly racist policies.In a report released June 2019 by the Equity Collaborative, a consulting firm hired by superintendent Eric Williams, students shared anecdotes of their peers use of racial slurs, unfair disciplinary policies and academic expectations.”The N-word gets used ALL the time here,” said one student, who was anonymous.”When a kid who is misbehaving and is Black — why do you hear “that kid’s going to end up in jail someday” — but you don’t hear that about the White kids who mess up,” another student said.Later in 2019, the Virginia Office of the Attorney General sent a letter to the district announcing it was opening an investigation into the allegations outlined in the report, and accusations that the district barred Black students from equal access to advanced programs.The state’s attorney general said that the district must make available all requested records and certain personnel for interviews, according to the letter, which was attached in the superintendent’s response to the request.Virginia schoolapologizes for ‘insensitive’ Underground Railroad activityFriday’s letter further apologized for “negative impact, damage and disadvantages to Black students and families that were caused by decisions made” by the district, including unequal school plans and pay, as well as segregated buildings and transportation.The school board also wrote that it “must continually assess the status of racial equity in the school system and correct its past transgressions as it pertains to race. Although we recognize that we have yet to fully correct or eradicate matters of racial inequality, we hope that issuing this apology with genuine remorse is a valuable step.”Indeed, the letter comes as the school district reports racist incidents in its virtual classrooms on the first week of school.During the week of Sept. 8, several students used racist slurs during class and showed sexual or racist images on screens during online classes, Williams told families in an email, reported local college radio WAMU 88.5.But this incident is far from the only racist incident in the district in recent years.In Feb. 2019, the district’s Madison’s Trust Elementary School issued an apology for holding a physical education class where students in third, fourth and fifth grades pretended to be slaves while participating in an obstacle course representing the Underground Railroad.The lesson was meant to be a cooperative exercise where students worked together to move through six stations representing parts of the Underground Railroad.Contributing: Brett Molina, USA TODAYAutoplayShow ThumbnailsShow CaptionsLast SlideNext SlideRead or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/education/2020/09/25/virginia-school-district-apologize-school-segregation-racism/5645803002/Find New & Used CarsNew CarsUsed CarsofPowered by Cars.com
Read More

Continue Reading

Headlines

Ant Anstead Posts ‘Old Skool’ Pic Wearing Wedding Ring After Christina Anstead Split

Kicking it old school. Ant Anstead interrupted his post-breakup social media hiatus to share a throwback pic. The Wheeler Dealers host, 41, uploaded a photo of himself to Instagram on Thursday, September 24, where he was pictured sticking his head out of a car window. “British cars, American TV, On set (old skool),” he captioned…

Published

on

By

Kicking it old school. Ant Anstead interrupted his post-breakup social media hiatus to share a throwback pic.

The Wheeler Dealers host, 41, uploaded a photo of himself to Instagram on Thursday, September 24, where he was pictured sticking his head out of a car window. “British cars, American TV, On set (old skool),” he captioned the black-and-white shot, in which a glimpse at his wedding band was shown.
The “old skool” portion of his caption seemingly implied that the snap was taken some time before the split.
Ant Anstead and Christina Anstead Shutterstock (2)Ant and Christina Anstead tied the knot in December 2018 after her divorce from Tarek El Moussa was finalized that January. The now-estranged pair welcomed their son Hudson, 12 months, in September 2019.

On September 18, the 37-year-old Christina on the Coast star announced their breakup via Instagram. “Ant and I have made the difficult decision to separate,” she wrote at the time. “We are grateful for each other and as always, our children will remain our priority. We appreciate your support and ask for privacy for us and our family as we navigate the future.”
Ant has not publicly addressed the separation. The U.K. native did, however, celebrate his stepdaughter Taylor’s 10th birthday, posting to his Instagram Story on Tuesday, September 22.
“TEN! And has perfected the perfect pinkie!” he wrote. “Stay just as cool, funny and sassy! Happy birthday TayTay! Love you!!”

Ant has two children from a previous relationship. However, the British TV presenter helped to raise Christina’s daughter alongside her biological father, El Moussa. The exes’ also share 5-year-old son, Brayden.
Christina has maintained a strong coparenting and working relationship with El Moussa, who is engaged to Selling Sunset’s Heather Rae Young. The Flipping 101 star, 39, recently spoke to Us Weekly about how they’ve gotten to a good place post-split.
“We’re cordial and we filmed together,” he said on September 14. “We’re not hanging out on Sundays having barbecues, but you know, it’s all good. Life goes on and we’re good. We’re doing great filming together. The kids are great. And life is good.”
Listen to Us Weekly’s Hot Hollywood as each week the editors of Us break down the hottest entertainment news stories!

Continue Reading

Headlines

Ukraine military plane crash: Cadets among at least 22 people killed

Published

on

By

Publishedduration1 hour agomedia captionThe plane was carrying cadets on a training flightAt least 22 people, most of them air cadets, have been killed in a military plane crash in Ukraine, officials say. The aircraft, an Antonov-26, came down near the eastern city of Kharkiv as it was landing. The plane was carrying cadets from Kharkiv Air Force University and was on a training flight. Emergency ministry officials say 27 people were on board.Two were seriously injured, and a search operation is continuing into the night for three missing people. The cause of the crash is being investigated.image copyrightUkraine’s emergency ministry via Reutersimage captionFire at the crash site was extinguished late on FridayThe plane came down about 2km (1.2 miles) from a military airport in the town of Chuhuiv, the emergency ministry officials say. There is no suggestion that the crash is linked to the conflict in eastern Ukraine. Chuhuiv is about 100km (60 miles) from the front line where government forces are fighting pro-Russian separatists.Fire broke out at the site and was later extinguished.”It’s a shock,” Deputy Interior Minister Anton Gerashchenko told AFP news agency. “At the moment it’s impossible to establish the cause.”An investigation is under way. President Volodymyr Zelensky is due to travel to the region on Saturday.Kharkiv regional governor Oleksiy Kucher said preliminary information suggested that one of the pilots had reported failure in one engine before the crash, but that this should not have been a critical situation, according to the Interfax-Ukraine news agency. An eyewitness told Reuters news agency he had seen a man in flames running from the wreckage. “Another car stopped behind us. We took a fire extinguisher and ran with another driver to help him,” he said.
Read More

Continue Reading
error: Content is protected !!