Connect with us
[adrotate group="1"]

World News

Leah Remini says she had ‘no idea’ her estranged father died: ‘Scientology took my dad’

CLOSE Since leaving the Church of Scientology in summer 2013, Leah Remini has become one of vocal opponents of the controversial organization’s practices. Her 2015 memoir Troublemaker revealed numerous troubling aspects of her experience with the religion, USA TODAYLeah Remini is mourning her father’s death. The actress, 49, revealed in a heartbreaking Instagram post Sunday that…

Published

on

Leah Remini says she had ‘no idea’ her estranged father died: ‘Scientology took my dad’

CLOSE
Since leaving the Church of Scientology in summer 2013, Leah Remini has become one of vocal opponents of the controversial organization’s practices. Her 2015 memoir Troublemaker revealed numerous troubling aspects of her experience with the religion,
USA TODAYLeah Remini is mourning her father’s death. The actress, 49, revealed in a heartbreaking Instagram post Sunday that she “had no idea” her estranged father, George Anthony Remini, died a month ago, and she blamed the Church of Scientology for not informing her.”On Friday, I received a message from my sister Nicole, who had been contacted by a stranger passing on his condolences for the passing of our father,” she captioned a series of family photos. “We weren’t aware that he had been sick leading up to his death. A funeral came and went and none of us knew anything about it. We were not able to say goodbye.”‘Scientology’ series finale: Leah Remini sits down with Danny Masterson’s accusers Remini, who left Scientology in 2013, said the organization “took my dad in as a pawn against me and likely robbed him of any last ounce of heart that might have been left in him.”   “The little girls inside of my sisters and me will never forgive Scientology for taking away our last chance to have the one thing we always wanted from our father… And that was for him to say ‘I’m sorry and I loved you,”http://www.usatoday.com/” she wrote. “The King of Queens” alum described her relationship with her estranged father as “difficult,” adding that she wanted closure and a chance to forgive her dad for the past. “He was not able to redeem himself, to ask for forgiveness for his failures and hurts, to become a better man to those of us who couldn’t help but love him,” she continued. “Regardless of his neglect and abuse … I hoped for him to acknowledge who he had been and what he had done to us as his children. That alone would have been healing in its own way. We never got that, yet I can’t help but grieve.”‘He’s been part of it’:Leah Remini claims Tom Cruise knows about Scientology abuseAutoplayShow ThumbnailsShow CaptionsLast SlideNext SlideRemini added that she’s furious at Scientology for using her father against her and for dictating “the last chapter in our relationship.””I’m angry that Scientology found his personal weak spots and got him on board not with their beliefs but with their smear campaign against me,” she said. “That was his last presence in my life. Knowing my father, after taking the offer from Scientology to betray me, he wouldn’t have thought that he could ever come back from that in our relationship. If he thought that, though, he would have been wrong. I would have forgiven him as I always did.”Leah Remini says she didn’t know her estranged father had died. (Photo: Amy Sussman, Getty Images)The Church of Scientology shot down Remini’s accusations, claiming that George Anthony Remini “was never a member of the religion.””Leah Remini blames everyone but herself for destroying her relationships. It’s beyond hypocritical,” spokesperson Karin Pouw said in a statement to USA TODAY Monday. “She was estranged from her father … for years and now even exploits his sad passing for tabloid attention. Hate consumes her.”Remini was a member of Scientology for over three decades before contentiously leaving. She has since been an outspoken critic of the church, creating the Emmy award-winning A&E documentary series “Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath” in 2016. The show concluded in August. More: Jada Pinkett Smith, Leah Remini bury the Scientology hatchet and declare loveSee our full coverage of entertainment newsAutoplayShow ThumbnailsShow CaptionsLast SlideNext SlideRead or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2019/09/23/leah-remini-blames-scientology-for-using-her-late-father-as-a-pawn/2423093001/
Read More

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

code

World News

Joe Biden endorsed, Trump excoriated by nearly 500 retired top military, national security officials

CLOSE President Trump has reportedly used words like “suckers, losers and warmongers” to describe American war heroes and Pentagon brass. USA TODAYWASHINGTON – Nearly 500 generals, admirals and former national security officials from both parties endorsed former Vice President Joe Biden on Thursday, and blasted President Donald Trump as “not equal” to the challenges of the…

Published

on

By

Joe Biden endorsed, Trump excoriated by nearly 500 retired top military, national security officials

CLOSE

President Trump has reportedly used words like “suckers, losers and warmongers” to describe American war heroes and Pentagon brass.

USA TODAYWASHINGTON – Nearly 500 generals, admirals and former national security officials from both parties endorsed former Vice President Joe Biden on Thursday, and blasted President Donald Trump as “not equal” to the challenges of the job in a letter released Thursday.The letter, signed by 489 members of the group called the National Security Leaders for Biden, includes former Obama administration Defense Secretaries Ash Carter, Chuck Hagel and Leon Panetta, along with former Navy Secretary and NASA administrator Sean O’Keefe, who served under both former Presidents George H.W. and George W. Bush. Among the retired senior officers is Air Force Gen. Paul Selva, who until last year was the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under Trump.REPUBLICANS: Former governors, congressmen, Trump administration staffers supporting BidenThe signature of a senior official like Selva, with recent, relevant experience advising the Trump White House as the military’s second-highest ranking officer, indicates alarm about Trump’s fitness as commander in chief, said Michael O’Hanlon, a military analyst at the Brookings Institution. O’Hanlon pointed to revelations in Bob Woodward’s new book “Rage” that showed the United States and North Korea were dangerously close to war in 2017. Trump’s erratic, “seat of the pants” decision-making has rattled senior military and civilian officials, he said.CLOSE

Prominent Republicans have publicly endorsed or shown support for Joe Biden instead of their party’s incumbent, Donald Trump.

USA TODAY”There is real concern among some of these folks that we’re living on borrowed time with this guy having his finger on the nuclear trigger,” O’Hanlon said of Trump.O’Keefe, a Republican, said in an interview that the statement is aimed at undecided voters. The group intends to write op-eds for news organizations and to speak out through the election, he said.”This is a referendum on whether we want to reinforce and establish what has kept this democratic experiment in play for the last 250 years or so or go into uncharted territory and redefine who we are as Americans,” O’Keefe said.The letter praises Biden for his morality, integrity and experience. The letter excoriates Trump without mentioning him by name.”The current President has demonstrated he is not equal to the enormous responsibilities of his office; he cannot rise to meet challenges large or small,” the group writes. “Thanks to his disdainful attitude and his failures, our allies no longer trust or respect us, and our enemies no longer fear us.”President Obama, Vice President Biden, Deputy Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Martin Dempsey stand for the National Anthem during a ceremony marking the return of Gen. Lloyd Austin, right, at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., on Dec. 20, 2011. The return of Austin, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, marked the formal end to the U.S. military mission in Iraq. (Photo: Evan Vucci, AP)The letter is addressed to “fellow citizens.” Its signatories “are generals, admirals, senior non-commissioned officers, ambassadors, and senior civilian national security leaders. We are Republicans, Democrats, and Independents. We love our country. Unfortunately, we also fear for it.”BIDEN VS. TRUMP:What each means for the militaryCLOSE

Joe Biden tore into President Donald Trump for his reported remarks referring to fallen soldiers as “suckers” during a Tuesday campaign visit to the key battleground state of Florida. (Sept. 15)

AP DomesticThe list also includes officials from the White House such as Susan Rice, Obama’s national security adviser; John Kerry, his secretary of State; and  James Clapper, his director of National Intelligence.“Donald Trump has weakened our global alliances, undermined trust in U.S. leadership and competence, and time after time privileged Vladimir Putin over American national interests,” Rice said in a statement. “The United States cannot endure four more years of Trump’s failed leadership.”They conclude by saying the next president must deal with turmoil caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, recession and emboldened adversaries such as North Korea and Russia: “Joe Biden has the character, principles, wisdom, and leadership necessary to address a world on fire. That is why Joe Biden must be the next President of the United States; why we vigorously support his election; and why we urge our fellow citizens to do the same.”CINDY McCAIN: ‘Joe shares our values,’ John McCain’s GOP widow says in endorsementCLOSE

Thinking of sitting out the election? Here’s why your vote counts. Register, verify your status or request an absentee ballot at vote.usatoday.com.

USA TODAYRead or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/09/24/nearly-500-generals-admirals-endorse-joe-biden-blast-donald-trump/3503917001/Find New & Used CarsNew CarsUsed CarsofPowered by Cars.com
Read More

Continue Reading

World News

Avoid all social gatherings as COVID-19 community transmissions rise, health minister urges Quebecers | CBC News

Health Minister Christian Dubé appealed to Quebecers to cancel all their plans to gather with friends and family over the next few weeks — including Thanksgiving dinner. He said the next few weeks will be key in preventing the level of shutdowns due to COVID-19 that were seen in the spring.”We ask all Quebecers, regardless of colour…

Published

on

By

Avoid all social gatherings as COVID-19 community transmissions rise, health minister urges Quebecers | CBC News

Health Minister Christian Dubé appealed to Quebecers to cancel all their plans to gather with friends and family over the next few weeks — including Thanksgiving dinner. He said the next few weeks will be key in preventing the level of shutdowns due to COVID-19 that were seen in the spring.”We ask all Quebecers, regardless of colour code in their region, to restrict their public gatherings. This is very important,” he said, referring to the alert system that the province is now using to determine the severity of the spread of the virus. He said cancelling Thanksgiving plans would give Quebecers a shot at having “a nice Christmas.” One new region, MRC Avignon in the Gaspésie, moved into the yellow “pre-alert” stage Thursday. Montreal, Quebec City and Laval are already in the orange stage. WATCH | Explaining Quebec’s colour-coded COVID-19 alert system: Quebec has unveiled a new, colour-coded COVID-19 alert system. Here’s how it works. 1:55 Even though all Quebecers are permitted to gather in small numbers under the alert levels that are currently active, Dubé asked people to avoid meeting with those who do not live in the same household. With schools and businesses open, Dubé said some semblance of normal life has returned. But at the same time, he said there are about 300 active outbreaks across the province. With the virus being transmitted in the community, Dubé said exposing health-care workers to illness is perhaps his greatest worry as cases continue to rise. “Community transmission affects the staff of our health network and puts a lot of pressure on the health-care network,” he said, adding that the province is already dealing with a backlog of surgeries and other medical services that had to be put on hold last spring.  Officials single out dinner parties He said Quebecers must make this short-term sacrifice or face the level of shutdowns seen in the spring. While Dubé and Quebec’s director of public health, Dr. Horacio Arruda, singled out dinner parties, they said the province’s restaurants can remain open. “In restaurants, there is a [level of] control that is really different from a party,” Arruda said. Regulations put in place by the province’s workplace health and safety board require masks to be worn when customers are not seated, and in orange zones, tables of more than six are not allowed. Those who do not comply can be fined up to $6,000.
Read More

Continue Reading

World News

Liberals promise child care, one million jobs and more

6 hours agoRadio23:41On Wednesday, the Liberals laid out what they called an “ambitious plan for an unprecedented reality” in the speech from the throne, pledging to extend some COVID-19 emergency supports, boost child care spending, create a million jobs, and more. Today, host of CBC’s Power and Politics Vassy Kapelos unpacks some of the ambitious…

Published

on

By

Liberals promise child care, one million jobs and more

6 hours agoRadio23:41On Wednesday, the Liberals laid out what they called an “ambitious plan for an unprecedented reality” in the speech from the throne, pledging to extend some COVID-19 emergency supports, boost child care spending, create a million jobs, and more.

Today, host of CBC’s Power and Politics Vassy Kapelos unpacks some of the ambitious promises and the opposition’s response.
Read More

Continue Reading
error: Content is protected !!