Arpad Horvath, one of the eight seniors murdered by former nurse Elizabeth Wettlaufer, would be proud of the inquiry report released on Wednesday, proud that something good had come out his death. “But he’d also say, ‘Let’s kick some more ass. Let’s get things going. Let’s not wait till next year, let’s do it now, let’s get it done,'” said his emotional son, also named Arpad, shortly after the release of the report. “I think everybody has the same hope that something’s going to come out of this. Even if it’s not a lot at first, just something, anything.” Arpad Horvath, one of the people Wettlaufer murdered, would be proud of the inquiry report, said his son, also named Arpad, shown Wednesday. (Mark Gollom/CBC) His father had been a resident of Meadow ParkÂ Long Term Care in London Ont., where he was killed by Wettlaufer in 2014. She injected him with a fatal overdose of insulin, the method byÂ which she killed all her victims. Arpad Horvath Sr. had been a resident of Meadow Park Long Term Care in London Ont., where he was killed by Wettlaufer in 2014. (CBC) It was an emotional day for Horvath and several of the victims’ familiesÂ and friends who came to the Holiday Inn Express in Woodstock, Ont., for the release of Justice Eileen Gillese’s four-volume report, theÂ culmination of the Public Inquiry into the Safety and Security of Residents in the Long-Term Care Homes System. Yet many are hopeful that some real changes will be implemented that will prevent a similar tragedy. It was particularly emotional for Beverly Bertram, whom Wettlaufer attempted to murder at her own home in 2016 with a lethal injection of insulin. ‘I got a lot of emotions’ “I got a lot of emotions, and not all of them are good,” she said, sitting in her wheelchair. “So I’m just trying to stay positive and upbeat.” Wettlaufer attempted to murder Beverly Bertram at her own home in 2016 with an injection of insulin. ‘I still have nightmares,’ Bertram says. (Mark Gollom/CBC) “I still have nightmares, I still don’t like people coming in my house. I have no friends except for my workers because I don’t trust people at all. “But I don’t know if that will ever go.” However, Bertram said she hopes the report may give some peace of mind to those who may be fearful of living inÂ long-term care facilities. “I hope nobody has to be afraid anymore and that they can trust all their workers. Because if you can’t have trust you don’t have nothing.” Wettlaufer pleaded guilty to killing eight seniors over a decade. Here is how friends and family are remembering those victims. 2:17 The two-year inquiry was launched in August 2017Â to look at the events that led to Wettlaufer’s offences andÂ the contributing factors that allowed the crimes to happen, and to make recommendations to prevent similar crimes.Â Known as Canada’s first health-care serial killer, Wettlaufer pleaded guilty to eight counts ofÂ first-degree murder, along with four counts of attempted murder and two counts of aggravated assault, all committed between 2007 and 2016 in the course of her work as a registered nurse. Most of her crimes were committed at the Caressant Care nursing home in Woodstock, Ont. Serving 8 concurrent life sentences She is serving eight concurrent life sentences with no chance of parole for 25 years. Gillese’s report made three principalÂ findings: that Wettlaufer would not have been caught had she not confessed; that while there were systemic failures, there were no findings of individual misconduct, and that the long-term care system may be strained, but it’s not broken. Her report made 91 recommendations, includingÂ increases in funding and staffing forÂ Ontario’s nursing homesÂ and improvements into how medication is stored and tracked. She urged that counselling servicesÂ be made available for two years for Wettlaufer’s surviving victims and their families, at no cost to them. Indeed, the report itself was dedicated to the victims and their families, stating that their “pain, loss and grief are not in vain” and will serve as a catalyst for improvements to the long-term care system. The killings have had a significant impact on family members of the victims, who, as the report summarized, “continue to struggle with feelings of sadness, anger, guilt, grief, anxiety, fear, depression and betrayal.” ‘Buried my father so many times’ “We buried my father so many times now,” said Daniel Silcox, whose father James Silcox, a Second World War veteran suffering from Alzheimer’s disease and diabetes, was killed by Wettlaufer in 2007. “It’sÂ been really tough. It’s a part of everyday life, this discussion, and I wish it would settle down. And maybe now with the inquiry report settled, things might settle down and we’ll get some sort of closure.” Daniel Silcox was pleased with the recommendations and work done, and praised a private meeting held Wednesday with the family members and Long-Term Care Minister Merrilee Fullerton. (Mark Gollom/CBC) For his sister, Joanne Birtch, the report does represent a certain amount of closure, but now it’sÂ a matter of whether the government will “step up” and take on a leadership role. “I think if the government, nursing homes, take it seriously, take advantage of the work that’s been done, the resources that have been spent, we are going to make some serious changes,” she said. James Silcox, a Second World War veteran suffering from Alzheimer’s disease and diabetes, was killed by Wettlaufer in 2007. (CBC) Her brother was also pleased with the recommendations and work done, and praised a private meeting held with the family members and Long-Term Care Minister Merrilee Fullerton shortly after the commission’s news conferences. “They gave us very solid assurances that we’re going to see some change.Â How much change, how much is going to be adopted from the report? Anybody knows. But I thinkÂ we did not waste our time coming here and [we’re]Â looking forward to some good positive change.” The commission had set up two rooms for the release of the report, one forÂ the media and the other for the family members and their lawyers. ‘Can’t go through that again’ Laura Jackson, whose friend Maurice Granat was killed by Wettlaufer in 2007 at Caressant Care, said she couldn’t read the section in the report about him.Â Laura Jackson said she couldn’t read the section in the report about her friend Maurice Granat. (Mark Gollom/CBC) “I can’t go through that again.” But she was pleased with the recommendations. Maurice Granat Â was killed by Wettlaufer in 2007 at Caressant Care. (CBC) “If they put 50 per cent of what’s in that report into actual, real tangible change, then I think something good might come out of this.” “Our world was torn apart when we found out he was murdered and now, if one person’s life is saved by these recommendations, then Maurice can rest in peace. ” While praisingÂ Gillese and the work done to produce theÂ report, Arpad Horvath still believes several peopleÂ and organizations have not been held accountable.Â “They all dropped the ball, in my opinion. They all had excuses.” The report will help other seniors down the road, “which is a great thing, but for my family and everybody else’s family, it’s too little too late,” he said.
B.C. voters heading to the polls as snap election called for Oct. 24 | CBC News
After weeks of speculation, B.C. NDP Leader John Horgan has made official the worst-kept secret in the province: British Columbians are heading to the polls. Horgan said Monday he had called an election for Oct. 24 after meeting with Lt.-Gov. Janet Austin and asking her to dissolve the legislature.”I’ve struggled mightily with this decision, and it did not come easily to me,” said…
After weeks of speculation, B.C. NDP Leader John Horgan has made official the worst-kept secret in the province: British Columbians are heading to the polls. Horgan said Monday he had called an election for Oct. 24 after meeting with Lt.-Gov. Janet Austin and asking her to dissolve the legislature.”I’ve struggled mightily with this decision, and it did not come easily to me,” said Horgan, acknowledging the controversy of calling an early election during a pandemic. But he said that, with COVID-19 expected to be a fact of life for the next year, an election made sense now. “We can either delay that decision and create uncertainty and instability over the 12 months … or we can do what I believe is always the right thing and ask British Columbians what they think.” The announcement comes after weeks of speculation that Horgan would call an election just over three years into his mandate, and it comes after six cabinet ministers announced their retirements in the past seven days. The NDP currently have 41 seats in the legislature, as do the opposition Liberal Party, while the Green Party has two. WATCH | B.C. premier announces Oct. 24 election: British Columbia voters will head to the polls on Oct 24. Some are criticizing the premier for moving forward early, but John Horgan says COVID-19 would have been a factor no matter when he called an election. 1:59 How did we get here? Horgan has led a minority government since July 2017 after his New Democratic Party and the Greens teamed up to defeat the Liberals in a confidence vote following a May election with no clear decision. Since that time, he has led the province with the support of the Green Party — under a unique and formal agreement — and passed legislation setting a fixed election date for October 2021. The agreement also stipulated Horgan “will not request a dissolution of the legislature … except following the defeat of a motion of confidence.” But, in calling the election, Horgan argued the province found itself in unique circumstances because of the pandemic and that the Green Party had also broken a rule of the agreement by introducing an amendment to a government bill without notification. “The issues of 2017 are not the issues of 2020,” said Horgan. “What we did in the past is one thing, and what we need to do in the future is quite another matter.” Horgan also repeatedly argued that an election would create more certainty for the province if one party had a majority government and the ability to make decisions without consulting other parties. “We need a stable government,” he said. Up in the polls Horgan will attempt to become the first two-term NDP premier in B.C. history and heads into the campaign with his party up in the polls and with the highest personal approval rating of any premier in Canada, according to recent surveys by Angus Reid. In recent weeks, the B.C. Liberal Party and the Green Party have criticized Horgan for considering an election during a global pandemic. While British Columbia received plaudits for its initial containment of the virus, cases of COVID-19 have surged in recent months, and the effects of students returning to class are still not fully known. The opposition parties quickly attacked Horgan for calling an election. “Today, John Horgan chose politics over people,” said Liberal leader Andrew Wilkinson, who said his party will announce its platform and full list of candidates in the coming weeks. “The only reason for this general election is to try and secure the jobs of the NDP … it’s not necessary.” Horgan is seen after the news conference in Langford, B.C., where he announced the election. (Chad Hipolito/The Canadian Press) Green Party Leader Sonia Furstenau said she spoke with Horgan on Friday, and told him she and fellow Green MLA Adam Olsen would continue to support the NDP on legislation if an election was not called. “When people are worried about their kids being back in school, when people are worried about their jobs, when people are worried about their housing, this is not a time where we put the interest of a political party ahead of British Columbians,” she said. A number of longtime MLAs have said they won’t be seeking re-election, including NDP cabinet ministers Carole James, Judy Darcy, Shane Simpson, Michelle Mungall, Doug Donaldson, Claire Trevena and Scott Fraser. Liberals Rich Coleman and Linda Reid, and former Green Party leader Andrew Weaver have also said they will not run again.
First man to climb Everest 10 times dies at 72
All the ascents to the 8,850-meter (29,035-foot) summit of the world’s tallest mountain between 1983 and 1996 by Ang Rita, who went by his first name, like many Sherpas, were made without bottled oxygen.The 72-year-old, who had suffered brain and liver ailments for a long time, died at his home in the Nepali capital of…
All the ascents to the 8,850-meter (29,035-foot) summit of the world’s tallest mountain between 1983 and 1996 by Ang Rita, who went by his first name, like many Sherpas, were made without bottled oxygen.The 72-year-old, who had suffered brain and liver ailments for a long time, died at his home in the Nepali capital of Kathmandu, his grandson, Phurba Tshering, said.Ang Rita was also known as the “snow leopard” for his climbing skills.”He was a climbing star and his death is a major loss for the country and for the climbing fraternity,” said Ang Tshering Sherpa, a former president of the Nepal Mountaineering Association.The body will be placed at a Sherpa Gomba, or holy site, in Kathmandu, and cremated on Wednesday according to sherpa tradition, Ang Tshering said.Many other climbers have since surpassed Ang Rita’s feat, with one member of the community setting a record of 24 ascents.
U.S. Justice Department threatens to strip federal funds from cities it says allow ‘anarchy’ | CBC News
World·NewThe U.S. Justice Department on Monday threatened to revoke federal funding for New York City, Seattle and Portland, Ore., saying the three liberal cities were allowing anarchy and violence on their streets.New York City, Seattle and Portland, Ore., have been identified as 3 cities that could lose fundingThomson Reuters · Posted: Sep 21, 2020 4:22…
World·NewThe U.S. Justice Department on Monday threatened to revoke federal funding for New York City, Seattle and Portland, Ore., saying the three liberal cities were allowing anarchy and violence on their streets.New York City, Seattle and Portland, Ore., have been identified as 3 cities that could lose fundingThomson Reuters · Posted: Sep 21, 2020 4:22 PM ET | Last Updated: September 21Police and protesters square off Saturday, July 25, 2020, near Seattle’s Central Community College. The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) on Monday threatened to revoke federal funding for cities such as Seattle, which it claimed has allowed anarchy and violence on the streets. (Ted S. Warren/The Associated Press )The U.S. Justice Department on Monday threatened to revoke federal funding for New York City, Seattle and Portland, Ore., saying the three liberal cities were allowing anarchy and violence on their streets. “We cannot allow federal tax dollars to be wasted when the safety of the citizenry hangs in the balance,” Attorney General William Barr said in a statement.In a joint statement, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan and Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler accused the Trump administration of playing politics and said withholding federal funds would be illegal. “This is thoroughly political and unconstitutional. The president is playing cheap political games with congressionally directed funds,” the statement said. “Our cities are bringing communities together; our cities are pushing forward after fighting back a pandemic and facing the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression, all despite recklessness and partisanship from the White House.” Many cities across the United States have experienced unrest since the May death of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police. In some cases the protests have escalated into violence and looting, but the majority have been largely peaceful. Protesters march in Portland, Ore., Thursday, Aug. 20, 2020. Last week, the DOJ urged federal prosecutors to consider sedition charges against protesters who have burned buildings and engaged in other violent activity in American cities. (Mark Graves /The Oregonian via The Associated Press) The federal government has mounted a campaign to disperse the racial justice protests, including by sending federal agents into Portland and Seattle and encouraging federal prosecutors to bring charges. Last week, the Justice Department urged federal prosecutors to consider sedition charges against protesters who have burned buildings and engaged in other violent activity. Monday’s threat to revoke federal funds was the government’s latest escalation in its quest to curb the protests. It comes after U.S. President Donald Trump earlier this month issued a memo laying out criteria to consider when reviewing funding for states and cities that are “permitting anarchy, violence, and destruction in American cities.” The criteria include things such as whether a city forbids the police from intervening or if it defunds its police force. In all three cities, the Justice Department said, leadership has rejected efforts to allow federal law enforcement officials to intervene and restore order, among other things. In a press briefing earlier on Monday, New York City Corporation Counsel Jim Johnson promised a court battle if the Trump administration proceeds to cut off the funds. “The president does not have the authority to change the will of Congress,” he said. “We are preparing to fight this in court if, ultimately, he actually takes concrete steps to withdraw federal funds.”With files from The Associated Press