Connect with us
[adrotate group="1"]

World News

Chinese Tesla rival scraps factory plans

Hong Kong (CNN Business)The company billed as China’s answer to Tesla has freaked out investors by warning that demand for its electric vehicles has failed to live up to expectations.Shanghai-based Nio’s (NIO) stock plummeted 18% in after-hours trading in New York after it reported late Tuesday that sales have been sluggish so far this year.…

Published

on

Chinese Tesla rival scraps factory plans

Hong Kong (CNN Business)The company billed as China’s answer to Tesla has freaked out investors by warning that demand for its electric vehicles has failed to live up to expectations.Shanghai-based Nio’s (NIO) stock plummeted 18% in after-hours trading in New York after it reported late Tuesday that sales have been sluggish so far this year. It also scrapped plans to build a factory in China. Before the alarming earnings report, Nio’s shares had gained more than 50% following its IPO in September as investors bet that its flashy SUVs would win lots of customers in the world’s largest electric vehicle market.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

code

World News

Joe Biden endorsed, Trump excoriated by nearly 500 retired top military, national security officials

CLOSE President Trump has reportedly used words like “suckers, losers and warmongers” to describe American war heroes and Pentagon brass. USA TODAYWASHINGTON – Nearly 500 generals, admirals and former national security officials from both parties endorsed former Vice President Joe Biden on Thursday, and blasted President Donald Trump as “not equal” to the challenges of the…

Published

on

By

Joe Biden endorsed, Trump excoriated by nearly 500 retired top military, national security officials

CLOSE

President Trump has reportedly used words like “suckers, losers and warmongers” to describe American war heroes and Pentagon brass.

USA TODAYWASHINGTON – Nearly 500 generals, admirals and former national security officials from both parties endorsed former Vice President Joe Biden on Thursday, and blasted President Donald Trump as “not equal” to the challenges of the job in a letter released Thursday.The letter, signed by 489 members of the group called the National Security Leaders for Biden, includes former Obama administration Defense Secretaries Ash Carter, Chuck Hagel and Leon Panetta, along with former Navy Secretary and NASA administrator Sean O’Keefe, who served under both former Presidents George H.W. and George W. Bush. Among the retired senior officers is Air Force Gen. Paul Selva, who until last year was the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under Trump.REPUBLICANS: Former governors, congressmen, Trump administration staffers supporting BidenThe signature of a senior official like Selva, with recent, relevant experience advising the Trump White House as the military’s second-highest ranking officer, indicates alarm about Trump’s fitness as commander in chief, said Michael O’Hanlon, a military analyst at the Brookings Institution. O’Hanlon pointed to revelations in Bob Woodward’s new book “Rage” that showed the United States and North Korea were dangerously close to war in 2017. Trump’s erratic, “seat of the pants” decision-making has rattled senior military and civilian officials, he said.CLOSE

Prominent Republicans have publicly endorsed or shown support for Joe Biden instead of their party’s incumbent, Donald Trump.

USA TODAY”There is real concern among some of these folks that we’re living on borrowed time with this guy having his finger on the nuclear trigger,” O’Hanlon said of Trump.O’Keefe, a Republican, said in an interview that the statement is aimed at undecided voters. The group intends to write op-eds for news organizations and to speak out through the election, he said.”This is a referendum on whether we want to reinforce and establish what has kept this democratic experiment in play for the last 250 years or so or go into uncharted territory and redefine who we are as Americans,” O’Keefe said.The letter praises Biden for his morality, integrity and experience. The letter excoriates Trump without mentioning him by name.”The current President has demonstrated he is not equal to the enormous responsibilities of his office; he cannot rise to meet challenges large or small,” the group writes. “Thanks to his disdainful attitude and his failures, our allies no longer trust or respect us, and our enemies no longer fear us.”President Obama, Vice President Biden, Deputy Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Martin Dempsey stand for the National Anthem during a ceremony marking the return of Gen. Lloyd Austin, right, at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., on Dec. 20, 2011. The return of Austin, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, marked the formal end to the U.S. military mission in Iraq. (Photo: Evan Vucci, AP)The letter is addressed to “fellow citizens.” Its signatories “are generals, admirals, senior non-commissioned officers, ambassadors, and senior civilian national security leaders. We are Republicans, Democrats, and Independents. We love our country. Unfortunately, we also fear for it.”BIDEN VS. TRUMP:What each means for the militaryCLOSE

Joe Biden tore into President Donald Trump for his reported remarks referring to fallen soldiers as “suckers” during a Tuesday campaign visit to the key battleground state of Florida. (Sept. 15)

AP DomesticThe list also includes officials from the White House such as Susan Rice, Obama’s national security adviser; John Kerry, his secretary of State; and  James Clapper, his director of National Intelligence.“Donald Trump has weakened our global alliances, undermined trust in U.S. leadership and competence, and time after time privileged Vladimir Putin over American national interests,” Rice said in a statement. “The United States cannot endure four more years of Trump’s failed leadership.”They conclude by saying the next president must deal with turmoil caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, recession and emboldened adversaries such as North Korea and Russia: “Joe Biden has the character, principles, wisdom, and leadership necessary to address a world on fire. That is why Joe Biden must be the next President of the United States; why we vigorously support his election; and why we urge our fellow citizens to do the same.”CINDY McCAIN: ‘Joe shares our values,’ John McCain’s GOP widow says in endorsementCLOSE

Thinking of sitting out the election? Here’s why your vote counts. Register, verify your status or request an absentee ballot at vote.usatoday.com.

USA TODAYRead or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/09/24/nearly-500-generals-admirals-endorse-joe-biden-blast-donald-trump/3503917001/Find New & Used CarsNew CarsUsed CarsofPowered by Cars.com
Read More

Continue Reading

World News

Avoid all social gatherings as COVID-19 community transmissions rise, health minister urges Quebecers | CBC News

Health Minister Christian Dubé appealed to Quebecers to cancel all their plans to gather with friends and family over the next few weeks — including Thanksgiving dinner. He said the next few weeks will be key in preventing the level of shutdowns due to COVID-19 that were seen in the spring.”We ask all Quebecers, regardless of colour…

Published

on

By

Avoid all social gatherings as COVID-19 community transmissions rise, health minister urges Quebecers | CBC News

Health Minister Christian Dubé appealed to Quebecers to cancel all their plans to gather with friends and family over the next few weeks — including Thanksgiving dinner. He said the next few weeks will be key in preventing the level of shutdowns due to COVID-19 that were seen in the spring.”We ask all Quebecers, regardless of colour code in their region, to restrict their public gatherings. This is very important,” he said, referring to the alert system that the province is now using to determine the severity of the spread of the virus. He said cancelling Thanksgiving plans would give Quebecers a shot at having “a nice Christmas.” One new region, MRC Avignon in the Gaspésie, moved into the yellow “pre-alert” stage Thursday. Montreal, Quebec City and Laval are already in the orange stage. WATCH | Explaining Quebec’s colour-coded COVID-19 alert system: Quebec has unveiled a new, colour-coded COVID-19 alert system. Here’s how it works. 1:55 Even though all Quebecers are permitted to gather in small numbers under the alert levels that are currently active, Dubé asked people to avoid meeting with those who do not live in the same household. With schools and businesses open, Dubé said some semblance of normal life has returned. But at the same time, he said there are about 300 active outbreaks across the province. With the virus being transmitted in the community, Dubé said exposing health-care workers to illness is perhaps his greatest worry as cases continue to rise. “Community transmission affects the staff of our health network and puts a lot of pressure on the health-care network,” he said, adding that the province is already dealing with a backlog of surgeries and other medical services that had to be put on hold last spring.  Officials single out dinner parties He said Quebecers must make this short-term sacrifice or face the level of shutdowns seen in the spring. While Dubé and Quebec’s director of public health, Dr. Horacio Arruda, singled out dinner parties, they said the province’s restaurants can remain open. “In restaurants, there is a [level of] control that is really different from a party,” Arruda said. Regulations put in place by the province’s workplace health and safety board require masks to be worn when customers are not seated, and in orange zones, tables of more than six are not allowed. Those who do not comply can be fined up to $6,000.
Read More

Continue Reading

World News

Liberals promise child care, one million jobs and more

6 hours agoRadio23:41On Wednesday, the Liberals laid out what they called an “ambitious plan for an unprecedented reality” in the speech from the throne, pledging to extend some COVID-19 emergency supports, boost child care spending, create a million jobs, and more. Today, host of CBC’s Power and Politics Vassy Kapelos unpacks some of the ambitious…

Published

on

By

Liberals promise child care, one million jobs and more

6 hours agoRadio23:41On Wednesday, the Liberals laid out what they called an “ambitious plan for an unprecedented reality” in the speech from the throne, pledging to extend some COVID-19 emergency supports, boost child care spending, create a million jobs, and more.

Today, host of CBC’s Power and Politics Vassy Kapelos unpacks some of the ambitious promises and the opposition’s response.
Read More

Continue Reading
error: Content is protected !!