Pelosi vows no wall funds, Trump says he won't wait for talks - Lebanon news - أخبار لبنان
Connect with us
[adrotate group="1"]

Middle East News

Pelosi vows no wall funds, Trump says he won’t wait for talks

In her first press conference since a record-long partial government shutdown ended, top Democrat Nancy Pelosi renewed her party’s vow that Democrats will not allocate funding to build a wall on the US-Mexico border.  House Speaker Pelosi told reporters on Thursday, “There’s not going to be any wall money in the legislation.”  Upon entering the…

Published

on

Pelosi vows no wall funds, Trump says he won’t wait for talks

In her first press conference since a record-long partial government shutdown ended, top Democrat Nancy Pelosi renewed her party’s vow that Democrats will not allocate funding to build a wall on the US-Mexico border. 

House Speaker Pelosi told reporters on Thursday, “There’s not going to be any wall money in the legislation.” 

Upon entering the room full of reporters, she said, “Full house. Winning is good.”

Her remarks come a week after Democrats struck a deal with President Donald Trump to fund the government for three weeks and end the 35-day partial shutdown while talks on border security continued.  

If an agreement is not reached by the end of the three-week period, the government could partially shut down again.

On Thursday, Democrats offered further details on their border security plan, which does not include money for a wall. The Democratic measure, totalling nearly $22bn for US customs, border patrol and immigration agents, would significantly increase spending for scanners at ports of entry, humanitarian aid for apprehended migrants and new aircraft to police the US-Mexico border. It would also freeze the number of border patrol agents and block any wall construction in wildlife refuges along the border. 

‘Wasting time’

Earlier in the day, Trump said Republicans are “wasting their time” trying to negotiate with Democrats and he doesn’t “expect much help” from Congress to get the wall built. 

He said he wasn’t going to wait for the negotiating committee to strike a deal, and indicated he is still weighing whether he to declare a national emergency to bypass Congress to build the wall. 

Trump accused Pelosi of “playing games”, adding that if Democrats don’t “give us a wall, it doesn’t work”. 

The president also took to Twitter, to announce that more US troops are being sent to the country’s southern border. 

He claimed, without evidence, that troops would help prevent an “attempted invasion”, referring to US-bound groups of undocumented immigrants and refugees fleeing violence and economic catastrophe. 

“More troops being sent to the Southern Border to stop the attempted Invasion of Illegals, through large Caravans, into our Country,” Trump wrote in the tweet. He did not elaborate.  

Shutdown over immigration

Trump had allowed the government to shut down on December 22, after Democrats refused to provide more than $5bn in funding for his proposed border wall. 

Throughout the shutdown, Trump vowed to keep the government partially closed for “months or even years”. 

The shutdown affected more than 800,000 federal workers in nine different departments, as well as several federal agencies.

This included the departments of agriculture, commerce, justice, homeland security, housing and urban development, interior, state, transportation and treasury.

Federal workers deemed “essential” were required to work without pay. Others were furloughed or placed on temporary leave.

With pressure mounting, Trump backtracked on his threat to keep the government shutdown until Democrats agreed to fund his border wall. 

On Friday, Trump and Democrats reached a deal that did not include funding for the border wall.

Rather, Democrats approved a bill providing funds for more border patrol agents, drones, sensors and other equipment and measures. 

Since coming to office, Trump has sought to tighten restrictions around immigration and asylum seeking in the US, prompting a widespread backlash from rights groups and critics alike. 

SOURCE:
Al Jazeera and news agencies

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

code

Middle East News

Sign language: Connecting people and cultures

The Deaf Friends team – KUNA photosSign language is a full-fledged means of communication for deaf people, depending on facial and body gestures that enable them to interact. The UN General Assembly set Sept 23 as the International Day for Sign Languages to highlight their importance, and how it was a major right for deaf…

Published

on

By

Sign language: Connecting people and cultures

The Deaf Friends team – KUNA photosSign language is a full-fledged means of communication for deaf people, depending on facial and body gestures that enable them to interact. The UN General Assembly set Sept 23 as the International Day for Sign Languages to highlight their importance, and how it was a major right for deaf people to have their own languages. The international day coincides with the establishment of the World Federation of the Deaf, founded in 1951.
“Sign language is multicultural and derived from the culture of every country,” said Hamad Al-Marri, President of Kuwait Sport Club for the Deaf. Marri, also member of the higher council for the disabled, told KUNA deaf people will be using their hands and other body gestures to express themselves. Every country has a unique sign language depending on its culture, he explained. “There is an international sign language, an Arab sign language and a unique local sign language.”
Arabic days of the week in sign languageMarri said many deaf people have occupied senior positions because they excelled in the use of sign language. He added he proposed to the Civil Service Commission for the appointment of people with sign language expertise in government departments to help the deaf. Marri said HH the Crown Prince Sheikh Mishal Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah instructed Kuwait National Guards personnel, when he was deputy chief of KNG, to learn sign language to communicate with the deaf.
Arabic alphabets in sign languageDr Mohammad Al-Ramzi, a sign language instructor, said sign language “is rich, expressive and complicated just like the spoken language, and it has a grammar framework similar to all human languages”. Speaking to KUNA, Ramzi said Arab countries unified their sign languages in 1999 and a dictionary was published with more than 3,000 signs. Kuwait was the first country in the world to interpret three TV news bulletins. The bulletins were raised to eight per day in 2020, he added.
Ismail Karam, Technical Director at Kuwait Sport Club for the Deaf, said he learned sign language at Al-Amal (Hope) School for people with special needs, which he joined in 1960. After spending 12 years at the school, Karam graduated with the ability to write and sign. He then worked at the finance ministry’s printing press where he spent 30 years, during which he joined former classmates to establish the Kuwait Society for Deaf and Dumb in 1975. The society later changed its name to Kuwait Sport Club for the Deaf.
Al-Zahraa Al-Tamimi, member of the Deaf Friends team, said team members are teaching hearing-impaired people how to use sign language. The team, she told KUNA, sought to spread the use of sign language on social media, TV channels and public places. Kuwait is the second Arab country to introduce education of the deaf – the ministry of education issued a law in 1965 making it mandatory for people with special needs to get an education. – KUNA
 

Continue Reading

Middle East News

Kuwaiti army chief, Australian commander discuss military issues

KUWAIT: Lieutenant General Khaled Saleh Al-Sabah receives Commander of the Australian Joint Task Force Brigadier General David Paddison. – KUNAKUWAIT: Chief of the General Staff of the Kuwaiti Armed Forces Lieutenant General Sheikh Khaled Saleh Al-Sabah discussed with the Commander of the Australian Joint Task Force Brigadier General David Paddison important matters and topics of…

Published

on

By

Kuwaiti army chief, Australian commander discuss military issues

KUWAIT: Lieutenant General Khaled Saleh Al-Sabah receives Commander of the Australian Joint Task Force Brigadier General David Paddison. – KUNAKUWAIT: Chief of the General Staff of the Kuwaiti Armed Forces Lieutenant General Sheikh Khaled Saleh Al-Sabah discussed with the Commander of the Australian Joint Task Force Brigadier General David Paddison important matters and topics of common interest, especially those related to the military. The general staff said in a press statement yesterday that Sheikh Khaled received Paddison along with his accompanying delegation during his official visit to the country.
During the meeting, the important matters and topics of common interest were discussed, where the chief of staff commended the depth of bilateral ties between both sides. The meeting was attended by Deputy Chief of the General Staff of the Army Lt Gen Fahad Al-Nasser, Australian Ambassador to Kuwait Jonathan Gilbert and several senior army commanding officers. – KUNA
 

Continue Reading

Middle East News

Myanmar will not address world leaders at UN General Assembly

Russia and China have reportedly agreed to allow Kyaw Moe Tun to keep Myanmar’s UN seat as long as he does not speak during high-level meeting.No representative from Myanmar is scheduled to address the annual high-level United Nations General Assembly next week, a UN spokesman said, amid rival claims for the country’s UN seat in…

Published

on

By

Myanmar will not address world leaders at UN General Assembly

Russia and China have reportedly agreed to allow Kyaw Moe Tun to keep Myanmar’s UN seat as long as he does not speak during high-level meeting.No representative from Myanmar is scheduled to address the annual high-level United Nations General Assembly next week, a UN spokesman said, amid rival claims for the country’s UN seat in New York after a military coup deposed the elected government.
“At this point, Myanmar is not speaking,” UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said on Friday.
Myanmar’s current UN Ambassador Kyaw Moe Tun – appointed by Aung San Suu Kyi’s elected government – had initially been expected to address the 193-member General Assembly on Monday, the final day of the gathering.
But diplomats said China, Russia and the United States had reached an understanding, where Moscow and Beijing will not object to Kyaw Moe Tun remaining in Myanmar’s UN seat for the moment as long as he does not speak during the high-level meeting.
“I withdrew from the speaker list, and will not speak at this general debate,” Kyaw Moe Tun told Reuters the news agency, adding that he was aware of the understanding between some members of the UN credentials committee, which includes Russia, China and the US.

Myanmar’s military government has put forward military veteran Aung Thurein to be its UN envoy, while Kyaw Moe Tun has asked to renew his UN accreditation, despite being the target of a plot to kill or injure him for his opposition to the February coup.
UN accreditation issues are dealt with by a nine-member committee, whose members include the US, China and Russia. It traditionally meets in October or November.
Until a decision is made by the credentials committee, Kyaw Moe Tun will remain in the seats, according to the General Assembly rules. The same rule also applies to the representative of Afghanistan.
News of Kyaw Moe Tun’s absence on Monday comes as violence linked to the February 1 coup continues to displace thousands of civilians at home.
Myanmar has been in turmoil since Aung San Suu Kyi’s government was overthrown by the military in February, sparking a nationwide uprising that the military has tried to crush.
Attacks on the military have increased after lawmakers deposed by the generals called for a “people’s defensive war” earlier this month.
News of Kyaw Moe Tun’s absence on Monday comes as violence linked to the February 1 coup continues to displace thousands of civilians at home [File: Osamu Honda/AP]The latest violence was reported in Chin state and Sagaing region in the country’s northwest, with soldiers engaging in battles with armed local defence groups.
More than 1,100 civilians have been killed and nearly 8,000 arrested since the coup, according to local observers.
Coup leaders have defended its power grab by alleging massive fraud during elections in late 2020 which Aung San Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy won by a landslide.
On Thursday, Michelle Bachelet, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, warned of a human rights catastrophe under military rule in Myanmar and urged the international community to do more to prevent the conflict in the country from getting worse.
“The national consequences are terrible and tragic – the regional consequences could also be profound,” she said in a statement.
“The international community must redouble its efforts to restore democracy and prevent wider conflict before it is too late.”

Continue Reading
error: Content is protected !!