Palestine launches bid for full UN membership despite US veto - Lebanon news - أخبار لبنان
Connect with us
[adrotate group="1"]

Middle East News

Palestine launches bid for full UN membership despite US veto

Palestine will launch a bid to become a full member of the United Nations, Palestinian Foreign Minister Riyad al-Maliki said on Tuesday. The bid will go ahead despite the United States having said it will veto Palestine’s membership plans. “We know that we are going to face a US veto but that won’t prevent us from…

Published

on

Palestine launches bid for full UN membership despite US veto

Palestine will launch a bid to become a full member of the United Nations, Palestinian Foreign Minister Riyad al-Maliki said on Tuesday.

The bid will go ahead despite the United States having said it will veto Palestine’s membership plans.

“We know that we are going to face a US veto but that won’t prevent us from presenting our application”, Al-Maliki told journalists.

He added that the Palestinians will begin lobbying members of the Security Council in the coming weeks.

The Palestinians presented a request for UN membership in 2011, but the application never came before the Security Council for a vote.

Following that attempt, Palestine’s status was upgraded from a non-member observer entity to a non-member observer state, which allows the country to be a signatory to treaties for which the UN Secretary-General is the depositary.

Since then, the country has joined more than 50 international organisations and agreements, according to the Palestinian foreign ministry.

Among them are the International Criminal Court and the UN heritage body, UNESCO.

In 2017, Interpol approved the Palestinian Authority’s membership bid, another victory in Palestinians’ drive for international representation despite strong Israeli opposition.

Group of 77

On Tuesday, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas assumed chair for the so-called Group of 77, the biggest UN bloc of developing countries, a position that raises Palestine’s international standing significantly.

In his address, Abbas said Israel was hampering development in the Middle East and renewed his commitment to a two-state solution.
“Israel’s continued colonisation and occupation of the state of Palestine undermines our development and capacity for cooperation, coordination and obstructs the cohesive future development of all peoples of the region,” he said.  

The Palestinian leader also said he was committed to a “peaceful solution that brings an end to the occupation and the realisation of the independence of the state of Palestine with East Jerusalem as its capital, living side-by-side in peace and security with the state of Israel.”

In recent years, Jerusalem has become an even more important point of contest between Palestine and Israel, after US President Donald Trump’s decision in December 2017 to recognise Jerusalem as Israel’s capital and move the US embassy to the city.

With that decision, Trump broke with the international consensus that the status of the city would be decided in negotiations, much to the outrage of the international community.
Abbas subsequently broke off ties with the Trump administration, vowing to oppose any US peace proposal that he has warned would be biased in favour of Israel.

Under Trump, the US has also cut off hundreds of millions of dollars in aid for UN programmes benefitting Palestinians, including funds to the UN Palestinian refugee agency (UNRWA), which was forced to scale back its education and health programmes.

The General Assembly last year adopted a resolution granting the observer-state of Palestine additional rights to act as chair of the G77, a bloc of 134 countries at the United Nations.
The US voted against that measure, arguing that the Palestinians should not be allowed to take the chair because it is not a full member-state.

SOURCE:
Al Jazeera and news agencies

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

code

Middle East News

Political outsider to stand against Orban in Hungary’s 2022 vote

A small-town conservative and father of seven will lead an alliance of six opposition parties in next year’s parliamentary vote.A Hungarian political outsider with no party affiliation will run against Prime Minister Viktor Orban in next year’s parliamentary election after winning an opposition runoff primary on Sunday. Small-town conservative Peter Marki-Zay defeated left-wing Klara Dobrev…

Published

on

By

Political outsider to stand against Orban in Hungary’s 2022 vote

A small-town conservative and father of seven will lead an alliance of six opposition parties in next year’s parliamentary vote.A Hungarian political outsider with no party affiliation will run against Prime Minister Viktor Orban in next year’s parliamentary election after winning an opposition runoff primary on Sunday.
Small-town conservative Peter Marki-Zay defeated left-wing Klara Dobrev who pledged to support him at the head of an alliance of six opposition parties.
“We can only win together,” Marki-Zay told cheering supporters with his wife and seven children standing behind him.
“This was a battle, but we have to win the war as well,” he said, referring to the 2022 election.
The vote, which will determine the 199 seats of the Hungarian Parliament, is expected to be held by April.
Dobrev conceded defeat and sided with his former opponent. “I wish him a lot of strength … in our effort to unseat Viktor Orban and then dismantle his regime,” he told a news conference.

While final results were due later on Sunday, Marki-Zay’s lead appeared unassailable. With 60 percent of the votes counted, he was leading by a margin of about 58-42 percent.
Marki-Zay’s family-man image and Christian faith could appeal to lots of undecided voters. He has sought to portray himself as a palatable choice for both left-wing and conservative voters, campaigning on leading a coalition of “the clean” and promising to root out corruption.
Opinion polls show Orban’s conservative Fidesz party and the opposition alliance running neck-and-neck.
An economist and engineer who lived in the United States and Canada for five years, Marki-Zay rose to prominence in 2018 when he won a mayoral contest in his southern hometown, Hodmezovasarhely, a Fidesz party stronghold.
For the first time since coming to power in 2010, Orban will face a united front of opposition parties that includes the Socialists, liberals and the formerly far right, now centre right, Jobbik.
While Orban has had a series of disputes with the European Union, Marki-Zay is looking to improve relations with Brussels and is in favour of Hungary adopting the euro in the foreseeable future.

Continue Reading

Middle East News

Who benefits from plans for a biennial football World Cup?

FIFA wants to change the frequency of the World Cup but not everyone is convinced.

Published

on

By

Who benefits from plans for a biennial football World Cup?

FIFA wants to change the frequency of the World Cup but not everyone is convinced.

Continue Reading

Middle East News

India: 8 dead, 20 missing as heavy rains lash Kerala

Slide Menus Show/Hide Left Slide Menu Show/Hide Right Slide Menu Show/Hide Top Slide Menu Show/Hide Bottom Slide Menu   Web Report/Dubai Filed on October 17, 2021 Rescue forces recover three more bodies in Kottayam Eight people have died and 20 have been reported missing as heavy rains continued to lash Kerala on Sunday. According to…

Published

on

By

India: 8 dead, 20 missing as heavy rains lash Kerala

Slide Menus

Show/Hide Left Slide Menu
Show/Hide Right Slide Menu
Show/Hide Top Slide Menu
Show/Hide Bottom Slide Menu

 

Web Report/Dubai

Filed on October 17, 2021

Rescue forces recover three more bodies in Kottayam

Eight people have died and 20 have been reported missing as heavy rains continued to lash Kerala on Sunday.
According to the Times of India, three more bodies were recovered from Koottickal in the Kottayam district on Sunday.
State ministers K Rajan, Roshy Augustine and VN Vasavan took part in a review meeting to assess the situation arising in the state at Mundakkayam, Kottayam.
The National Disaster Response Force conducted a rescue operation in Kokkayar, Idukki after the rains triggered a landslide on Saturday.
NDRF team conducts rescue operation in Kokkayar, Idukki where landslide occurred yesterday#KeralaRains pic.twitter.com/RLAhF0HxSV— TOI Kochi (@TOIKochiNews) October 17, 2021
ALSO READ:

Continue Reading
error: Content is protected !!