WASHINGTON: The United States issued a pre-emptive warning to Iran on Thursday against pursuing three planned space rocket launches that it said would violate a UN Security Council resolution because they use ballistic missile technology.Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Iran had announced plans to launch in the coming months three rockets, called Space Launch Vehicles (SLV), which he said incorporate technology that is “virtually identical” to that used in intercontinental ballistic missiles.”The United States will not stand by and watch the Iranian regime’s destructive policies place international stability and security at risk,” Pompeo said in a statement.”We advise the regime to reconsider these provocative launches and cease all activities related to ballistic missiles in order to avoid deeper economic and diplomatic isolation.”Iranian Deputy Defense Minister General Qassem Taqizadeh in late November was quoted by Iranian media as saying that Iran was planning to launch three satellites into space soon.”The satellites have been made by domestic experts and will be put on various orbits,” Taqizadeh said.Pompeo said such rocket launches would violate United Nations Security Council Resolution 2231, which endorsed a 2015 nuclear deal between Iran and world powers. It calls upon Iran not to undertake activities related to ballistic missiles capable of delivering nuclear weapons, including launches using such technology. It stops short of explicitly barring such activity.US President Donald Trump decided in May to pull out of the Iran nuclear deal.Pompeo said Iran has launched ballistic missiles numerous times since the UN resolution was adopted. He said it test-fired a medium-range ballistic missile capable of carrying multiple warheads on Dec. 1.”The United States has continuously cautioned that ballistic missile and SLV launches by the Iranian regime have a destabilizing effect on the region and beyond,” Pompeo said. “France, Germany, the United Kingdom, and many nations from around the world have also expressed deep concern.”In July 2017, Iran launched a rocket it said could deliver a satellite into space, an act the US State Department called provocative. Earlier that month, the United States slapped new economic sanctions on Iran over its ballistic missile program.Iran says its space program is peaceful, but Western experts suspect it may be a cover for developing military missile technologies.
Bosnian Serb police drill seen as separatist ‘provocation’
Bosniak, Croat leaders call drills ‘a clear provocation’, but Serb officials say it has nothing to do with Bosnia’s deep political crisis.Bosnia’s Serb police have held an “anti-terrorist” drill just outside the capital Sarajevo in a move seen by many as another provocation by the Serb separatist leadership. The exercise on Friday was held in…
Bosniak, Croat leaders call drills ‘a clear provocation’, but Serb officials say it has nothing to do with Bosnia’s deep political crisis.Bosnia’s Serb police have held an “anti-terrorist” drill just outside the capital Sarajevo in a move seen by many as another provocation by the Serb separatist leadership.
The exercise on Friday was held in the ski resort at Mt Jahorina, the general area from where the Bosnian Serb military relentlessly shelled and sniped Sarajevo throughout Bosnia’s 1991-95 war. Thousands of Sarajevo citizens were killed or injured during the attacks.
The drill involved armoured vehicles, helicopters, and special police force personnel in camouflage uniforms and armed with assault rifles.
The European Union Force, deployed in Bosnia to maintain peace in the ethnically divided nation, dispatched an aircraft to monitor the exercise.
Bosnian Serb Interior Minister Dragan Lukac said the EURFOR flyover “was unnecessary” and prevented a second helicopter from taking off “to avoid a collision”.
Republika Srpska police drill at Jahorina, #Bosnia https://t.co/2xrpIBit35
— Mersiha Gadzo (@MersihaGadzo) October 22, 2021
Bosniak and Bosnian Croat leaders denounced the Serb drills as “a clear provocation,” while Bosnian Serb officials said it was planned a long time ago and has nothing to do with Bosnia’s deep political crisis.
Lukac said the drill aimed to show the police’s readiness before the start of the upcoming winter season, as thousands of tourists visit mountain Jahorina daily.
Simultaneously, Bosnian Serb police also held a drill near Mrkonjic Grad in western Bosnia.
Bosnia’s war that pitted Bosniaks, Serbs and Croats against each other, ended with a US-sponsored peace agreement in 1995 that created two regions, the Republika Srpska and the Bosniak-Croat Federation.
The two regions were given wide autonomy, but kept some joint institutions, including the army, top judiciary and tax administration. Bosnia also has a rotating three-member presidency comprising Bosniak, Serb and Croat members.
The Bosnian Serb presidency member, Milorad Dodik, has for years been advocating the separation of Republika Srpska and having it join neighbouring Serbia – something that would unlikely win approval from the US and much of the West.
Dodik, who has tacit support from Russia and his allies in Serbia, has recently upped his drive, pledging that the Bosnian Serb parliament will, by the end of November, declare the creation of its own army and judiciary.
The Bosnian Serb assembly earlier this week adopted a law establishing its own medicine procurement agency, the first of Dodik’s pledges to separate joint institutions from those at the state level, in violation of the peace accords.
Many Bosnians and international institutions fear that the separatist moves could ignite another armed conflict.
The US has already imposed a travel ban against Dodik and earlier this week has warned sanctions against his allies if his separatist moves continue.
Miss Universe UAE announces 15 of 30 official candidates
The first batch of candidates to compete for the title of Miss Universe UAE have been announced. Fifteen names have so far been released on official social media accounts – Marwa (23, Sharjah), Sara (25, Dubai), Jasmin (22, Abu Dhabi), Dilnoza (23, Dubai), Alma (24, Dubai), Bahar (26, Dubai), Emilia (24, Dubai), Frank (27, Dubai),…
The first batch of candidates to compete for the title of Miss Universe UAE have been announced.
Fifteen names have so far been released on official social media accounts – Marwa (23, Sharjah), Sara (25, Dubai), Jasmin (22, Abu Dhabi), Dilnoza (23, Dubai), Alma (24, Dubai), Bahar (26, Dubai), Emilia (24, Dubai), Frank (27, Dubai), Razan (28, Abu Dhabi) Natalia (24, Dubai), Victoria (26, Dubai), Reem (25, Abu Dhabi), Asher (28, Dubai), Anna (28, Dubai) and Anita (24, Dubai).
pic.twitter.com/4ShjATL77n— missuniverseuae (@missuniverseuae) October 20, 2021
The Miss Universe Organization and Yugen Events announced the historic first-ever Miss Universe UAE on October 7, 2021. The event is set to take place in Dubai.
A few hours after the announcement of the pageant, the Miss Universe website crashed as over 12,000 candidates logged in to apply. The delegation whittled the applications down to 300 and selected its 30 official candidates on Thursday.
Couture Designs by @furneamato @amatoofficialPhotographed by @lucasalvesofficial @studiolucasalvesMakeup by @vimijoshiCreative Inputs @chanelayan#MissUniverseUAE#BreakingStereotypes#UAEToUniverse@josh_yugen #JoshYugen#YugenEvents @yugenpr #Top30 pic.twitter.com/Jl6NXCvrsL— missuniverseuae (@missuniverseuae) October 21, 2021
All women, between the ages of 18 to 28, who had a three-year residency, possessing a valid Emirates ID and passport, were qualified to join.
The 2022 event will be held in Dubai for three hours, where candidates will get the opportunity to showcase their intelligence, style and talent.
#MissUniverseUAE#BreakingStereotypes#UAEToUniverse@josh_yugen #JoshYugen#YugenEvents @yugenpr #Top30 pic.twitter.com/dDSyNzOPL1— missuniverseuae (@missuniverseuae) October 22, 2021
According to an official press release, the swimwear category will be dropped from the event this time “in respect of the UAE’s culture and traditions.”
A charity dinner will formally present the candidates on November 4.
The preliminary rounds will then take place on November 5, where the Top 15 will be chosen. From the semi-finalists will be selected the top five.
Woman dies after Alec Baldwin fires prop gun on film set
US actor Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun that killed a cinematographer and wounded the director on a film set in New Mexico, US law enforcement officers said Thursday. The incident happened on the set of “Rust” in the southwestern US state, where Baldwin is playing the lead in a 19th-century western. Halyna Hutchins and…
US actor Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun that killed a cinematographer and wounded the director on a film set in New Mexico, US law enforcement officers said Thursday.
The incident happened on the set of “Rust” in the southwestern US state, where Baldwin is playing the lead in a 19th-century western.
Halyna Hutchins and Joel Souza “were shot when a prop firearm was discharged by Alec Baldwin,” the sheriff in Santa Fe said in a statement.
Hutchins, 42, was transported to hospital by helicopter but died of her wounds, while Souza, 48, was taken by ambulance and is receiving treatment.
No charges have been filed over the incident, which is being investigated, with witness interviews ongoing.
A spokesperson from the production told The Hollywood Reporter the “accident” involved the misfire of a prop gun with blanks.
A sheriff’s spokesman told the publication that the director was in “critical condition.”
The incident took place at the Bonanza Creek Ranch, a production location near Santa Fe which is popular with Hollywood filmmakers.
Movie sets usually have stringent rules over the use of prop weapons, but accidents have happened.
Most famously, Brandon Lee, the son of martial arts legend Bruce Lee, died during filming of “The Crow” after being shot by a gun that was supposed to fire blanks.